26 Aug 2016

August 2016

Its 9 months since this all organic lawn was layed.  Its still healthy and growing well even though its a summer variety, which is supposed to dislike cold weather.  

Its been top dressed twice (at 3 monthly intervals) with a 9litre bucket full of granulated chicken manure, but I plan to change to sieved homemade compost in future.  

It's spring next week and I have been sowing summer flowers in my propagators.
Just a few days ago, I planted flower, veggie and herb seeds in 2 of my 3 propagators and most of them are already starting to break the surface of the soil.  They include Marigolds(s), Lupins, Coneflower, Nasturtiums(s), Red Salvias(s), Sunflowers(s), King Red Rex Proteas(s) and King Cream Proteas(s), and they will all be planted out in a few weeks.  Those marked with an (s)  are saved seeds.

In my 3rd propagator, I am growing Lavendar, Pink Geranium, Red Geranium, Coleus, Marguerite Daisy and New Guinea Impatiens cuttings taken from plants in my garden. 

Most of the seeds are growing in jiffy (fibre) pots.  (2 seeds in each pot to be thinned to the strongest seeding), but I have also sown batches of seeds in plastic mini pots, and they will need to be transplanted later into more jiffy pots.  This will take up quite a bit of space, so to free up that space I will need to plant out cuttings and early seedlings as soon as possible. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment